Our Pre-Kindergarten children are busy and active, as they grow socially and academically while preparing for kindergarten. Our developmentally appropriate VPK program enables them to develop positive self-esteem, curiosity about the world, and a love of learning.
At Terrific Kids:
- Our print-rich pre-k environment allows children to see letters and words on display and also written by their teacher every day.
- Children are exposed to a wide variety of fine motor activities that help them develop the skills that they need to write letters. Whether writing in shaving cream, tracing sand paper letters, or stamping letters, children begin to see and feel each letter’s formation. They begin with curves and lines, eventually learning to form letters. Children are given opportunities to write and draw on a variety of media, including chart paper, chalkboards, and dry erase boards.
- Our expansive selection of language, literacy, and writing materials foster growth in the development of beginning journaling skills. Each class has a group journaling time, with the teacher assisting the children as needed. Materials are also available for the children to journal during free choice time. Journals give our pre-kindergarten children a way to express their thoughts, feelings, and creativity through pictures and/or words.
- Emphasis is placed on social interaction, emotional growth and independence. Children learn to follow directions, take turns, share, and co-operate. They are given lots of opportunities to make decisions and encouraged to make good choices.
- Circle Times help children learn how to function in a group setting ~ that there is a time to talk and a time to listen, how to share their ideas, and how to learn from each other.
- Large group, small group, and individual activities provide a variety of experiences to enhance growth and development in all areas.
- Math skills are developed with group and individual hands-on experiences. Children’s math experiences expand as they count higher, compare more, make graphs, expand patterning skills, and begin to add and subtract.
- Art is enjoyed as children are exposed to both teacher directed projects and independent exploration of art materials.
- Special daily and weekly themes or seasonal activities provide variety and excitement.
- Individual Portfolios and Assessments collect each child’s work and monitor progress.
Teachers emphasize phonics training and phonemic awareness, as children learn letter sounds. Lessons are reinforced with hands-on activities. Our program teaches the names, shapes, and sounds of letters and how those sounds blend to make words and sentences. The appealing format and continuously developing adventure provide excellent opportunities for lively group discussions that help children develop their comprehension skills, including recollection of events, description, sequence, cause and effect, and interpretation of motive.
Terrific Kids are very well prepared for Kindergarten success ~ taking this next step with self confidence and a love of learning.